Thursday, May 19, 2011

We had to turn the AC off in the middle of the night or in the wee hours of the morning but it was warm when we got up. The evening breeze was nowhere to be felt this morning. It was just going to get hotter and hotter. So much for the desert. Just before we left Ft. Stockton RV Park the woman who works in the kitchen told us that it hasn't rained here since last September. What a need for water!

We finally left at 9:07am Central Time. It's a little later than we like but not as late as it sometimes gets. This part of west Texas is all desert. You may see a house here or there or some cattle but that's all. There are signs warning of severe cross winds and fires. We did see blackened grasses in the median and sometimes on the side of the road. We couldn't tell whether they were controled burns or out-of-conroled burns.

Soon we entered the Big Bend area of SW Texas and you could tell the difference. There was green grass! And things weren't so flat anymore. We started to climb. There were hills and then mountains. Things were changing.

Then we passed from Central Time Zone to Mountain Time Zone where we will be for a while.

Then we came to El Paso and soon into New Mexico. Somewhere along the line these wonderful mountains showed up. They are absolutely beautiful. They can be seen from the front gate of the RV Park. I wanted to take a picture of them but by the time I got the camera the sun was not lighting them the way it was before. And tomorrow morning the sun will be coming up behind them hindering a good shot. Oh well. Maybe I got a good one some time.

We arrived here about 4pm local time and settled in. Tom made hamburgers and we did 3 days worth of dishes. We also looked for a geocache but didn't find it. Then there's computer time. It's about 10:45pm local time. I was figuring that the windows would stayopen tonight but I think not. Maybe one of them but not all of them and not the ones over our bed! It will be fun to see what the morning temperature is.

Now it's time for bed. I will enjoy being horizontal tonight. I can just about stay awake now. zzzzzzz

1 comment:

  1. You are in my neck of the woods... :) I grew up with those beautiful mountains!! :) It would be so neat if you all could see "White Sands". Thomas reminded us of them when we talked to him last night. :) He said hello and he was excited knowing that you would soon be in NEW MEXICO! :)
    Hope you all enjoy your day tomorrow and of course each and every single day to come. :)
    love you, both. God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete