Monday, May 23, 2011

We are going UP the mountain! - May 23, 2011

I woke up this morning as Tom went out the door to shave. I woke up the second time when he came back. I just shouldn't roll over in the morning when he leaves.

Temperatures in Tucson were in the low 60s when I finally got up and where probably in the mid to high 70s by the time we left the RV Park for a day of traveling to Williams AZ.

We were on the road by 8:33am. That's good time for us. We have left a camp ground earlier but this was another day to avoid the morning rush hour on the major interstate.

Before we leave Tucson I wanted mention that when "The Man" brought us back to the RV Park on Sunday we went by some kind of an air craft museum. There were a lot, and I mean a lot, of old aircraft parked all over the place. Some of them were only pieces. It made me think of a junk yard where one would go to get parts for an old car. There were some planes from the U.S. Navy and some from the Air Force. I tried to get some pictures so we will see how they come out.

As we were on the road we watched the desert and the saguaros disappear and the evergreens appear by the side of the road. There were no deciduous (sp?- no spell checker) trees. We passed the sign for an elevation of 3000 feet; then 4000 feet. It was never straight up but ups and downs with more ups than downs.

We stopped for lunch at a rest stop which was a first of a kind for us. We were headed north when we were told of the exit for the rest area. As we exited there was no area to park nor any buildings. Nothing but a road at the bottom of the exit ramp and the entrance ramp on the other side of the road. At the bottom of the exit ramp there was a sign to tun left under the highway. At the other side of the highway there was another sign to turn left again. We were on a road with 2-way traffic. In a little while there was the rest area. It was a neat and cheap idea. There was one rest area that serviced both sides of the highway instead of one on each side. When we were finished with our lunch we went to the exit which was perpendicular to the 2-way road. We choose to go back down the road in the direction that we had already come, go under the highway and turn left up the entrance ramp to continue north. Others could have turned in the other direction to continue their journey south.

The highest elevation that we achieved, at least as being able to see signs for it, was 7000 feet. But one of the major sites for this day was the snow covered Humpherys Peak appearing on the horizon above the trees as the road turned. It is the highest point in the state of Arizona with a height of 12,637 ft. It was a magnificent view. I have taken many pictures of it. I hope some of them are good. But the condition of the Arizona highways isn't the greatest.

And we ascended the mountains the temps kept getting lower. By mid afternoon when we arrived at the RV Park where we will be staying this week the temps were already in the mid 60s and the wind was blowing really hard. It still is as I type this.

After we "crashed" again and had dinner we set out for information about the train rides to the canyon. It's a nice little tourist trap that they have set up here. We found where the tickets for the train rides are sold and their costs. They even had the weather for the canyon for tomorrow posted in the ticketing area. High of 64 degrees; low somewhere in the 20s. We looked around a little and then came back to the park.

We decided to try to get tickets for the train ride. The ticket office opens at 7:30am and the train leaves at 9:30am. There is supposed to be some kind of "gun fight" - wild west kind of thing - at 9am.

I'm off to bed in self defense. It is 49 degrees outside an 61 in side. I am getting cold. And I still have to get to the wash house. I hear the wind blowing. When I get back I'll crawl into my nice warm sleeping bag and be cozy all night.

Tomorrow morning will be another thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment