It was hard getting started this morning. We were late getting up and just slow moving. It was 9:40am until we were on the road. Shame on us! :o)
We went through downtown San Antonio and I snapped some pictures of the skyline and the individual buildings as they came closer. They are a stark contrast to the poor neighborhoods that the highway went by earlier. I was appauled by the condition of the houses.
After we left the cities behind we came to the flat lands of west Texas. The grasses were dead and the trees looked like tall bushes. Every once in a while there was a house with or without an outbuilding or two. My mother's question haunted me; "Where do they go to shop." Or maybe the more proper question is do they have money to shop?
We stopped at the second rest area that we saw. It was in the west Texas hill country. There was some very beautiful scenery and views from that place on one of the hills. All of the tables at all of the rest areas in this part of Texas are under roof in order to provide shade. The tables at this rest area were shaped like wagon wheels. The shade was very welcome because it was very hot. And there was a wonderful breeze on top of that hill.
A bird had made a deposit on the table at which we chose to sit. When I looked up I saw a small nest. I was trying to decide if it was a small nest or an unfinished one. Then two swallows came and one of them occupied the nest. The other flew away but returned later.
There came miles upon miles of ranch land. Some places you could see the cattle and some you could see fences. But it was all the same: dead grass, short trees.
At some places you could see short bridges on the Farm Market road (service road) that ran along side of the highway. But all of the stream beds/water ways/etc. were dry. It was disheartening. Here we are hoping that it won't rain so that we will be safer on the road and make it easier to drive and these people are suffering because of the lack of rain.
Then it happened. I fell asleep. Poor Tom! But I was startled away by his call. I was glad that he did awaken me. Across the horizon was a row of wind turbines! I snapped pictures and snapped some more. This is when we are happy for digital pictures! I hope some of them are good so that they can be posted. When one is sitting in a moving vehicle picture quality is never the greatest.
We finally arrived at the Fort Stockton RV Park. It was 97 degrees outside by the van's thermometer. there was a line up outside the office of the park so Tom had some time to do some figuring:
-we traveled 317 miles today
-we are 2316 miles from home
This park isn't too bad. It is basically carved out of the desert. We are told not to walk on the desert grass because it will kill it. It seems that the lack of water has already done that. It boasts of "completely private bathrooms". We couldn't figure this one out. Then I went into the ladies room. It had 3 complete bathrooms each behind a lockable door. Toilet, sink, tub with shower. You were almost at home. It also has a wonderful pool.
I'm headed for bed early tonight. Hopefully the AC will continue to work all night. Tomorrow we head for Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is expected that we will travel another 290 miles.
Thank you--it is being great fun "traveling" with you. You reminded me of my first glimpse of a windmill "farm" in Wyoming--took my breath away--quite beautiful.... Diana
ReplyDelete