Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Oh, What a Beautiful Morning...." - Saturday, May 14

We awakened to a beautiful day in the Clear Lake area of Houston, TX. My guess is that the temperatures were in the low 60s and there was a nice breeze blowing. Tom and I took our chairs into the back yard and enjoyed just being in TX. I continued the work on Cindy's and John's wedding afghan (it's only almost 2 1/2 years late) and Tom read his Azimov's science fiction magazine which he had saved to bring along. We actually got a little cool out there and came in when Cindy came home from her class. We were told that both the low temperature and the breeze are not common for this area at this time of the year.
When everyone was ready the four of us took off for a lunch of "real" Mexican food and some wonderful chocolate. These were in the town of LaPorte where Cindy used to live. So we got a tour of LaPorte before we had lunch.

Then we headed out to see the monument to the Battle of San Jacinto where the Texans (before they were called "Texans") defeated Santa Ana in the battle for their independence. We saw a film explaining the whys and wherefores of this and the previous battles and the reasons for all of the bloodshed. So much history that I never knew!
Added by Tom: We didn't have our camera with us, and did not get decent pix with our cell phone. We'll learn! One thing that came to mind as I watched the film: When Texas (TAY-hass) was part of Mexico, the Mexican government became concerned about the number of immigrants coming to Texas from the U.S., and passed a law to prohibit any more such immigration. Thus the "Nord Americanos" were illegal immigrants!

Back to BK:
Nearby was the Battleship Texas. I think it was a battleship. I will be corrected tomorrow if I am wrong. Everyone has gone to bed now so I have no one to ask. We did not get to go into the vessel because it was after visiting hours. Maybe another time.

Then off to a thrift shop and eventually home for dinner and catch-up time. Now it is bedtime. More at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment