Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Work and Play - Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Work and Play - Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Today was laundry day. I hate laundry days on the road. It's always someone else's washer and dryer (sometimes cared for and sometimes not), you can't get the settings you are used to using because you know your own washer and dryer and they are never the same size as the yours at home. Besides my preference is to hang my wash outside to dry! But I deal with it.

After breakfast Tom went to Moab to get a haircut and do the grocery shopping while I tended to the laundry. Tom told me that "they" had just cleaned the laundry room and that no one was there . . . yet! I had already sorted the laundry and loaded up "the little red wagon" (a foldable wagon frame with a red liner) and headed for the the laundry. There were only 3 washers and 3 dryers so I had to go through them twice. I loaded the 3 washers and took the wagon back to the trailer for the rest of the laundry.

Back to the laundry room and I found that the washers were finishing in turn. The first load went into the dryer and another load of wash was started. Then the second load of wash was finished and it went into the dryer and the second load of wash was started in the machine. And the same with the third washer.

By the time the third washer was finished and ready for the dryer Tom was back and helped with the transfering of the laundry. We went back to the trailer to deal with the clothes that were ready to be put away.

The laundry wasn't completely out of the laundry room until after lunch. Doing laundry can sure kill a day! We folded the last of the clothes and then went for some fun. We went to another National Park that was nearby, Canyonlands.

The canyons weren't the same as the Grand Canyon but they were massive. Some of the rock faces were straight up and down. You could see were some of the rock had become separated and had fallen down the wall. Far, far below there was a flat surface making you think that that was all there was to the canyon. But as you looked across that flat surface there was another canyon going down further and further than one could believe possible. We took only 205 pictures, give or take 5 or so. We not only got the snow capped peaks that we see from our RV Park but some on the other side.

We came back to the RV Park and Tom took a picture of the "Old West type church" that lives on the RV Park. It was used in the making of some western-type movies. He also took a picture of the sign that helps to identify the snow covered mountains.

It was 5:00pm until we crashed for a while. I could have stayed there but Tom woke me for dinner. Then it was time for me to "pay the piper" for not putting the clothes away in the first place. But the ride through Canyonlands National Park was worth it. And it was already paid for with out Senior Pass!

Satellite is slow tonight. We had an influx of people in the park this afternoon (our new neighbors are from PA. I haven't seen them yet but will have to get to talk with them before we leave tomorrow.) so I suspect there is heavy usuage of the band width. The internet is so slow. I will have to post this tomorrow.

Tomorrow we go to the area near Bryce Canyon. I am told that the weather will be somewhat cooler. Sure hope so although today's high was only in the 80s.

Notes on the news of yesterday:

Tom got some information from the barber this morning when he went to the "whooper shop." (That's what the Keener family called the barber shop because of all the stories that were heard there. Not much different from the "beauty parlor" or "hairdresser" for the ladies.)

The kind of wind that we had here that re-decorated the trailer is not normal around here. They have wind but not that strong.

And Tom was correct: There is less snow on the mountain tops that we can see. That is because the snow has been blown off the mountain. The mountains usually lose their snow cover in the summer but there are years when it has not all disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment