Friday, June 3, 2011

On Top of the Green Table - Friday, June 3, 2011

On Top of the Green Table - Friday, June 3, 2011

On Top of the Green Table - Friday, June 3, 2011

When Tom awoke it was 37 degrees outside and 45 degrees inside the trailer. He very kindly turned the heater on so that it would be warmer for me if I got up or warmer for himself when he came back from the wash house. It was 35 degrees outside when he got back.

Soon I was up and out to the wash house. I returned to a breakfast of scrambled eggs. We then left for Mesa Verde.

We went to the Far View Visitor Center and learned about all the different stops, walks and hikes we could take. On the way to Chapin Mesa area we stopped at Far View sites where we looked at three of the five archeological sites. It was amazing how these people who lived about a thousand years ago built the structures for their homes and communities.

Next stop was the Chapin Mesa Museum area where Tom went on the 2.4 mile loop trail to Petroglyph Point. He saw the Spruce Tree House from across a short distance. The hike was much more difficult than the hikers were lead to believe so many, almost all of those who Tom met, turned around at or before the petroglyphs rather than continuing the loop. He heard reports of two "young girls" (He doesn't think they were children) who intended to complete the loop but turned back a short way after the petroglyphs because "it was just too rugged." Tom, too, decided that he had had enough when he got to the petroglyphs and, at almost the mid point of the trail, returned to the starting point by the way he came. He took many pictures of what he saw on his hike. I hope that some time they will be posted. His total time was about 2 hours, 20 minutes including picture taking and gawking.

I knew that although I was interested in seeing the Petroglyphs I would never even think of attempting this trail especially since I hurt my foot at the Far View Sites. I must have stepped on a large stone/rock with the arch of my foot. Now I am having trouble walking. I'm hoping that it will be better tomorrow after a night's rest.

While Tom was gone I did a lot of people watching because that is a hobby of mine. I even got to see our neignbors from our current RV Park walk by. When there was no one in the area outside the restrooms I headed there first. Then off to the museum where I learned about the fire on top of the mesa in 2002. I'm sorry that I couldn't stand there long enough to find out how it started. Then I saw the 1/2 hour long film on some introductory information about the people, times and the area who inhabited this area from about 550AD to 1300AD. Then I did a quick tour of the bookstore and then back to the van to wait for Tom.

We rode the Mesa Loop stopping to see a number of cliff dwellings. We exited the park in the opposite direction of when we came in. This is only one way in and out. SCARY! The roads are winding switchbacks in some places with no guide rails. There are guiderails in some other places. I found myself leaning away from the downhill side of the road. I knew we were going to have to take this road back when we took it up to the top of the mesas in the morning but is was much scarier coming out. I'll admit that I had my eyes closed except on the parts where I could "feel" that we were going straight and not turning.

We were back at the RV Park and crashed for a nap by 4:50. I awoke near 5:30 because I was cold from the AC. We had an easy dinner and sat outside a bit. The thermometer said it was 70 degrees outside but I needed my fleecy shirt. Tom was in his short sleeve shirt. It tells that I am tired because I always get cold when I am tired.

We came in to start piecing this day together in hopes of getting to bed early. So far it is looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment